New Year's Resolutions for your Home
As you’re working hard on all those fresh New Year’s resolutions, we encourage you to set some goals for your home and finances. Whether you’re a homeowner or planning on becoming one soon, here are 5 home-based resolutions you can make -- and maybe even keep -- this year!
1. Make extra mortgage payments. This is common sense, but can make a huge difference. The more payments you make in a shorter period of time, the less you end up paying long-term, and the faster you’ll rid yourself of that mortgage payment. Making extra payments also allow the equity in your home to grow faster.
2. Get organized/de-clutter. Less is always more...especially when it comes to overflowing closets and cupboards. The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to tackle the clutter! And, to avoid feeling overwhelmed, why not set a goal to organize and de-clutter one room per month?
3. Lower your energy bill and save money. We’ve talked about lowering your heating bill during the cold winter months, but here are just a few small, simple ways to go green and save money:
● Turn off your air conditioning before you leave for vacations in the summer.
● Have your ductwork sealed and insulated.
● Jam-pack that dishwasher before running it each and every time.
● As your mom always said, turn off the lights when leaving a room. Take this a step further and put outside lights on a timer.
● Reduce the length of your shower by just a quick 5 minutes.
4. Review your homeowner’s insurance. It is important to review your policy on occasion and the New Year is the perfect time to check your coverage. Taking the time to speak with your insurance provider can save you money in the long run.
5. Get in shape! (Keep your home maintained!) In case you missed it, we’ve made this one easy for you -- just refer back to a couple of our previous blog posts to keep you in line!